Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Halloween Topiary



The other day when I was at Goodwill I came across these really cool plastic urns.  I automatically thought they were perfect for a topiary.

 
What you will need to make 2 of these:
 
2 planters or urns
Expandable spray foam
2 dowel rods
4 foam pumpkins
2 foam balls
Black paint
Orange paint
Plastic spider rings
Spanish moss
Hot glue
Black spray paint
 
 
For some reason I didn't get very many pictures of this project in progress but I will try to explain the best I can.
 
First what I did was paint orange and black stripes on the dowel rods.
Once that was dry I put the dowel rods in the urns and sprayed the expandable foam around them to hold them in place.  You might have to hold them until the foam sets up a little.
I let mine sit over night to make sure it was nice and set.
 
While that was setting I spray painted the foam balls black.  I used a 6 inch foam ball but you could really use any size you wanted.  The pumpkins are foam ones that I found at Dollar Tree.
 
 
Once all that was done, I had my wonderful Husband drill holes the same size as the dowel rod through the foam balls and pumpkins.
Stack them onto the dowel rods.
I had a hard time getting them to stay in place and not slip down so I just added a little hot glue to make them stop.
Once those were in place and the glue was dry, I started working on the spider rings.  I cut the ring part off of them and then started randomly gluing them to the black foam balls.  I ordered these from Amazon since had a gift card from using Swagbucks.  They turned out to be perfect.  I used all but 11 of them so keep that in mind when you buy some for your project.
 
 
After I was done with all of that, I put some Spanish Moss in the urn but candy corn would be cute too.
 
 
Cost of this project:
 
Urns were $4.68 for both
4 Pumpkins from the Dollar Tree $4
2 Foam Balls from Walmart $9.08
Spanish Moss from Dollar Tree $1
2 Dowel Rods from Menards $2.16
Spider Rings from Amazon $1.25 (used a $5 gift card from Swagbucks)
 
Black spray paint, orange and black acylic paint and expandable spray foam I already had on hand.
 
 
 
 
 



1 comment:

  1. cute! love this blog name and the ideas. i can't wait to follow you! follow us back if you'd like! this post made me so excited for halloween! Xo

    chaseandem.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete