Wednesday, February 6, 2013

DIY Cupcake Tower


 
My daughters birthday is coming up and she is wanting to do a Monster High theme.  So in my quest to make it her best birthday ever,  I am doing quite a bit of crafting.  This project is fun because it can be adapted to any theme or occassion.
 
 
What you will need:
 
2 pieces of 12x12 scrapbook paper
2 stove burner covers
1 or 2 candlesticks
paint brush or paint sponge
scissors
glue gun
Modge Podge
acrylic paint (optional)
 
 
 
 
So here we go.  First I placed the cover face down on my scrapbook paper.  I traced lightly around it with a pencil.  Do this for each cover.
 
 
Cut them out and place them to the side for later.
 
 
Next I painted the edges of my covers black.  You can use any color you would like or leave them white.  I went with black since it matches our theme.
Let that dry.
 
 
Put a thin layer of Modge Podge over your burner cover.  Try to make sure it's evened out.  Place your paper on top of it and push out any bubbles.
Let that dry.
 
 
Once that is dry, add a thin layer of Modge Podge on the top of the paper to seal it in.  I did 2 coats of this.  Let those dry.
 
 
Time to assemble it.  Hot glue your candlestick down to the bottom tier of your cupcake stand.  I glued my stick upside down because the bottom of it was bigger and I wanted more room for the cupcakes.  Glue your top cover to the top of the candlestick.
Now if you purchased 2 candlesticks, you can glue one to the bottom tier so that it sits up off of the table or you can just leave it like it is.  I plan on getting another (probably shorter) candlestick for this.
 
 
Could that be any cuter?!  It is going to be the perfect addition to our Monster High table.
 
Cost of this project:
2 Scrapbook Paper $0.59 (Hobby Lobby 50% off)
2 Burner Covers $1 (Dollar Tree)
1 Candlestick $1 (Dollar Tree)
Total: $2.59!
 
Modge Podge, paint, hot glue, scissors, paint brush I already had on hand.
 
UPDATE:
Here is what our cute little cupcake stand looked like on our party table.  It matched perfectly!
 
 
 
 
Did you make this project?  Link me to it!  I would love to see it!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! I've been online researching everything I can for our Monster High party, and this is by far the cutest and most inexpensive!

    ReplyDelete