Wednesday, February 20, 2013

DIY Bath Bombs


This was a fun project to do.  My daughter loves bath bombs and asks me to buy them for her all the time.
So off to the web I went to find a recipe.  Most of the recipes are the same but you will find the occassional variation.
 
 
 
Here is what you need to create the ones I made:
2 Cups Baking Soda
1 Cup Citric Acid (found a Walmart in the canning section)
Spray Bottle with Water
Fragrace (either essential oils or soap fragrance)
Food Coloring (optional)
Bowl
Whisk
Mold or Silicone Cupcake Molds
 

First you will want to mix up your baking soda and citric acid in a large bowl.  Make sure that you mix it really good.  I used a whisk for this.
Add in your fragrance oil.  Now for this part I used my soap oils that I buy to make my soaps but you can use essential oils if you don't have any of the soap fragrance.  I used about a teaspoon of my oil but it is very strong so you may want to use less.  It's all a personal preference.
 
I didn't get a picture of this next step but you are going to want to slowly mist your mixture with the water bottle and stir well.  I added food coloring to my bottle but it wasn't enough so my mixture turned out a very pale blue.
 
Keep doing this until you end up with what looks like the picture below.  You want this to pack nicely in your hand.  I used probably about 10 sprays of water for my mixture.  Yours may take more or less depending.
 
 
Once it starts to pack like that, pack it tightly into your molds. 
 
 
 
I let mine dry overnight.  I haven't gotten any pictures of the finished product unmolded but I will update with those later.
This recipe made 7 cupcake sized bath bombs.
 
Cost of this project:
$2.88 for the citric acid at Walmart
$0.50 for the Baking Soda
$1.97 for the silicone cupcake molds at Walmart
 
Food coloring, bowl, water, spray bottle, fragrance and whisk I had on hand.
 
 
Did you make this project?  Link me to it!  I would love to see it!
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment